School Support Services

Hours of Operation

Monday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed


Sterling Drive
Bldg. 412
Google Map

Handicap Accessible


Military DSN Tel:

Write an ICE comment


School Support Services (SSS) provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources, and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child, Youth and School Services (CYSS), SSS is home to the School Liaison Office, where School Liaison Officers (SLOs) help deliver the best educational resources and information for your children. 

We specialize in education transitions and make sure incoming and exiting Families have information about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school services/programs, youth sponsorship programs and homeschooling. We also help parents better understand the education process, school organization, and interaction strategies.

How SLO's Can Help
  • Build relationships and facilitate communication among Army Families and the local school community 
  • Inform and assist parents with school transitions and deployment challenges
  • Establish school and community partnerships
  • Facilitate access to home school resources for parents
  • Provide information about college and other post-secondary opportunities and preparation materials
  • Inform and assist parents on youth education and school issues
Finding a School

Registering you Child for school in a new location can be confusing. We know you want to get your kids settled in their new schools as quickly as possible. That’s why we work hard to help you identify local schools that fit best for you and your family. We can help you with information about how to register your child, including documents you’ll need to complete, school year start dates and age requirements.  You can also contact our office and we’ll be glad to meet with you to offer more detailed information.  To get started, check out some of these links below. You can also contact our office and we’ll be glad to meet with you for more detailed information.

Add local school information here

Home School

Home Schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.

Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

For New Homeschoolers

Parents who are new to homeschooling in NYC, or whose children have never attended an NYC public school, are currently required to submit copies of birth certificates and proof of residence with their initial paperwork only.

An insurance card may be accepted in place of a birth certificate. Theoretically, any proof of age, such as a passport or perhaps even tax records, should suffice.

If you have difficulty providing the birth certificate and the proof of address, citing the Regulation of the Chancellor A-101 (pdf format) to the DoE may be helpful to you, since (in an effort to protect kids who are residents of domestic violence shelters, refugees with no birth certificates, illegal immigrants, etc.) it spells out the necessity of admitting a student into a NYC public school (and therefore into the same computer system our kids are in) provisionally (until the birth certificate and proof of address can be provided).

Letter of Intent (LOI)

You are required to submit a Letter of Intent stating your intention to homeschool your child. The LOI is due by July 1st or within two weeks of your decision to homeschool. The letter must include your child’s name, age and grade level.

Although it is not required by law, I strongly advise parents who are taking their kids out of school to send a copy of their LOI (Letter of Intent) to that school. You should not rely on the DoE to inform the school that your child is legally homeschooled. Your LOI addressed to the DoE, can also be sent to your child’s former school as a way of informing them of your intent to homeschool your child legally.

Home School Filing NYC Paperwork

Address to send all NYC homeschooling paperwork:

William Harrington 
Director Central Office of Home Schooling 
333 Seventh Avenue, 7th Floor 
New York, NY 10001 
P:(917) 339-1748 /1750/ 1793
F:(212) 356-7523
E: wharrin @ 

PLEASE NOTE: current DoE policy is that official documents (Letter of Intent, IHIP, quarterlies, and annual assessments) CANNOT be sent by e-mail or fax unless Mr. Harrington makes an exception because of unusual circumstances for a particular family.

If you go in person: The office is at the NE corner of W28th St, and the nearest subway station is the 28th Street stop on the Number 1 line. Be sure to call ahead and make certain someone's there. They see visitors between ten am and noon.

IF YOU RECEIVE A NOTICE OF NON-COMPLIANCE BUT HAVE SENT IN YOUR PAPERWORK, call one of the numbers above and let them know. In the past homeschoolers who filed on time have received Letters of Non-Compliance in error. Don't let an intimidating letter alarm you.

Filing Yonkers Paperwork

In Yonkers, homeschoolers send their paperwork to:

Silvia Zaluski
Coordinator of Pupil Support Services Yonkers Public Schools 
1 Larkin Center 
Yonkers, NY 10701 
P: (914) 376-8489

Individual Home Instruction Plan (IHIP)

If you homeschooled the previous year, you must submit your IHIP for the next school year by August 15th. If you decided to homeschool midyear, then you must submit your IHIP within four weeks after receiving a response from the DOE to your letter of intent (which you should mail within twenty days of commencing homeschooling).

You do not have to use the government IHIP forms. You can make your own. Make sure that you include all mandatory subjects for that grade level (see the regulations in detail for your child’s grade level), including those pesky little items like bicycle safety, health, patriotism & citizenship, and arson prevention.

One parent files the following very simple quarterly report, the same report for each quarter, after filing a detailed IHIP at the beginning of the year.

[student] is progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter. We have had instruction in all the following areas, as per Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education and Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP): Reading, Writing, Spelling, Language Arts, Arithmetic, U.S. History, Geography, Science, Health, Physical Education, Music, and Visual Arts. We have covered at least 25% of the planned material for this quarter. [student] had no absences from instruction this quarter, and has exceeded the required hours of instruction (225).

Quarterly Reports

Four times a year you must submit Quarterly Reports that show progress with the educational goals outlined in your IHIP. These reports must also record the number of hours of instruction (225 per quarter or 900 per year in elementary school , for grades 7-12 that amount increases to 247.5 hours per semester or 990 per year ) and the child's absences (none since, even when they are sick, homeschoolers continue to learn and are never absent). You may want to comply with your district’s request to have the quarterly reports filed at the usual times (Nov. 15, Jan. 30, April 15 and June 30, approximately), but the law states that you may furnish your schedule for these reports.

Year-end Assessment / Narrative Assessment

A Year-end Assessment is required with your fourth quarterly report (June 30). This assessment can be in the form of a narrative statement or home-made report card signed by a certified teacher or (if there is no protest) by the parent or instructor, stating that at least 80% of the educational goals have been achieved. If a certified teacher is required and none is available, a peer review committee, made up of at least two experienced homeschooling parents, will suffice. The peer review panel would sign the year-end assessment statement. Starting in 4th grade, a nationally approved achievement test is required every other year and starting at 9th grade, every year, to serve as the year-end assessment.

Here is an example of a narrative assessment:

A narrative can be a paragraph or even a sentence, or it can be like a report card with "PASS" or "A" next to each subject. I used one simple sentence for my narrative assessments. I wrote it as a cover letter and included it with my fourth quarterly report. In my third quarterly report, I included a cover letter that stated what form my year-end assessment would take (either a narrative or a test if it was required that year).

Youth Sponsorship

Sponsors for your middle school or high school teens are available either through the youth program or school. 

Army Youth Sponsorship Program

The Youth Sponsorship Club can help your teen learn about their new community and make new friends. Getting involved quickly helps children and teens fit in and feel less stress associated with their PCS move. All it takes to join the club is a visit to the school age or youth center or contact the School Liaison Officer.

Youth Sponsorship Registration

Contact your School Liaison Officer (SLO) to request a sponsor.  You can download and use the Youth Sponsorship Request form below to help your SLO pair your child with a compatible sponsor.


youthsponosr pic.jpg

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. The EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive, coordinated, community support in areas such as housing, medical, educational and personal services to Families with special needs.


References and Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a). evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer.

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to help parents advocate for their children. The center focuses on proactive support and personal accountability. 

Military OneSource has a range of resources to help with caring for a family member with special needs including education, health care, legal, financial points of contact, EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.

Military Community & Family Policy Office of Special Needs provides a directory of age-specific resources and States-at-a-Glance for localized special education resources and information.

Free Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics at

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration


Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:

Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All fifty states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year. Read more. 

School Transition Information: School Liaison Officers are located on each installation to assist military Families with school transition and other education-related issues.  Go to Army OneSource for more information.

Military Youth on the Move the Department of Defense designed Military Youth on the Move as one-stop shop for parents and students with moves and deployment.

Academic and Behavioral Support

We can help you find information and resources for academic and behavioral support, including: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than forty core subjects and standardized test preparation.  

Homework Support: Army Child & Youth Services provides homework labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center. 

Support/Resilience Programs:  School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free non-medical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child & Youth Services programs, and in highly-impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free non-medical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, by phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Real Warriors is a multimedia behavioral health support center with tips for helping children cope with deployments and reunions.

National Military Family Association produces MyMilitaryLife, a free iPhone and Android app that provides Families with credible information tailored to your needs. 

Army One Source

Post Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.

Military-Specific and Government Academic Support information: G.I. Bill

Transferability of Educational Benefits:

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service members on active duty for a period of more than thirty days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965

College and Career Readiness: College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in post-secondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework.

Let us help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:

College and Career Readiness

College and Career Readiness and Success 

Counselor Connection 

Army One Source Military Scholarship Handbook

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Common Core State Standards and Assessments?

The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) focus on developing the critical-thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that students need for entry-level careers, freshman college courses and workforce training programs. The standards detail what K-12 students should know at the end of each grade. Most states and the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) have adopted the standards in English Language Arts and mathematics. There are two assessments being developed to measure student success (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers and Smarter Balanced). The decision of which assessment to use is determined by individual state education agencies.  


What is a Unique Military Child Identifier? Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and methods of collection vary from state to state.


What are Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Schools?  DoDEA is a civilian agency of the Department of Defense that manages schools for military children (pre-kindergarten through K12) on a limited number of installations in the United States and worldwide. DoDEA operates the Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Education Schools (DDESS) within the U.S. and the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) overseas. While DoDEA schools do not fall under federal education programs like No Child Left Behind (the Elementary and Secondary Education Act - ESEA) there is a formal agreement between the Department of Education and the Department of Defense that provides for cooperative arrangements. DoDEA schools use the Common Core State Standards and follow the accountability guidelines mandated for all public schools receiving ESEA funds.